Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Fruit Salad with Meyer Lemon Dressing

I have found another use for the lovely meyer lemon!  I love fruit salad, but I have a major hangup about it:  a lot of the fruits I like to use, such as apples, pears, and bananas, turn an unsightly brown when left out for too long.  There are dressings you can use, but I often find them to be too sweet or too acidic.  Not this one!  The meyer lemon is just acidic enough to keep fruits from turning brown, and it adds a subtle orange taste to the salad, which helps the different fruit flavors blend together nicely.  I made this salad with green apples, nectarines, strawberries, and blackberries, but obviously it will work with any combination.  However, I do think a nice variety of colors and flavors of fruits make it come together nicely.  Serves 6 to 8.

Ingredients:
Juice of 1 meyer lemon
1 Tbs. granulated sugar
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 large Granny Smith apples
2 large nectarines
1 lb. strawberries, stemmed and quartered
1/2 pint fresh blackberries, washed

Directions:

Whisk together meyer lemon juice, sugar, and vegetable oil in a medium serving bowl.  Cut apples and nectarines into large chunks.  Put the chunks into the dressing and stir to coat. 
















Add strawberries and blackberries, and stir salad to mix.  Serve or refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment